Thursday, November 20, 2008

Training Him Early

I noticed quite a phenomenon in music class today. Daniel wanted to do nothing but help clean up! As I observed his actions, he moved quietly around the room. The teachers would bring out various instruments and props. Daniel would handle these objects for the duration of the song, but he wouldn't really come to life until it was time to put something away. Then he sprang into action. Egg shakers. Kitchen utensils. Tambourines and maracas. Everything went back into its designated container. If there were too many children crowding around the teacher, Daniel would sneak away and come back holding the lid to the container! At one point, he dragged a large lid over to one of the teachers and started doing his impatient grunt. As the other children handed her objects to put away, she had to remind Daniel that it wasn't yet time to close the container. He waited, dutifully and patiently, until his time had arrived. He even helped her push the container into the shelving cabinet!

At the end of class, as the children played along to a song with their various instruments, Daniel joined in with a tin can "shaker." About halfway through the song, he spotted the empty container in the corner of the room. He walked over to it and placed the tin can on top! He turned to walk away, but changed his mind and went back to retrieve the can. This repeated about 3 times, until the song was over. He couldn't decide whether he should play the instrument or get a jump on putting it away!

Daniel had learned this obsessive need to clean up from me, of course. While I don't usually emphasize cleaning up verbally to him, I'm sure he observes me on a regular basis putting his toys away and tidying up the kitchen and living room. I can certainly be obsessive about this activity, and I'm afraid that it has rubbed off on Daniel. I don't want him to be so worried about cleaning up that it prevents him from enjoying an activity. From now on, I'll have to be more conscious of how often I'm tidying up in front of him. I might actually have to wait until he's asleep before I do it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I FEEL SOMEWHAT GUILTY ON PUTTING DAS'S TOYS AWAY IN THEIR DESIGNATED PLACES ALSO. I DO WAIT UNTIL DAS IS SLEEPING TO PUT THINGS AWAY. A GOOD EXPERIMENT WOULD BE NOT TO PUT HIS TOYS AWAY EVERYDAY. I WONDER WHAT HIS REACTION WOULD BE WHEN HE GOES TO PLAY. TRY IT, YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE. AT LEAST DANIEL DOESN'T THROW HIS TOYS AROUND LIKE SOME CHILDREN DO. HE'LL BE FINE. BETTER TO BE NEAT THAN SLOPPY BUT THERE IS A MIDDLE GROUND.
XO MOM XO