Tuesday, November 18, 2008

My Support System

As any first-time mother will tell you, it can take quite some time to get into a semi-normal routine after having your baby. Between sleep deprivation, breast pumping, and general moodiness, it can seem at times like you'll never leave the house again. The irony of this situation is that leaving the house is precisely what you need. Which is why I thank my lucky stars for the MOMS Club.

I heard about the group from a neighborhood woman I had met at Gymboree. She raved about how well organized the activities were, and how nice the other mothers seemed to be. Upon her recommendation, I joined the group. I was immediately invited to join a playgroup of women with babies around Daniel's age. It was exactly what I was hoping for, and it fell right into my lap! I ended up being extra lucky to join a group of eight or so caring, nurturing women who have truly become friends. We meet once a week at someone's home and commiserate with one another while our children play. It's a win-win situation.

Today at playgroup, one of the women commented, "I'm so glad to have you ladies to talk to." Sure, we all have our friends and families, but there's something really special about spending time with people with whom you can share stories of experiences that they, too, have been through. Whether I'm looking for advice, encouragement, or simple understanding, I can turn to these women for support. Each one of them is genuinely interested in sharing the bond of motherhood. We lean on each other in times of frustration, but also know we can get a good laugh. Just this morning, we discussed leaky boobs, bribes for successful diaper changes, and how to properly address a toddler who is turning the pages of his book before his Mom is finished reading. This group is invaluable to me.

I enjoy taking Daniel to music class and Little Gym, but I cherish Tuesday mornings for their warmth and companionship. As the women in our group have more children, I hope we continue to meet. There will always be something to talk about. Kids will always do crazy things, moms will always find situations when they want to scream, and I will always appreciate these women for being my rock through the whirlwind of new motherhood.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

HOW WONDERFUL THAT YOU FEEL SO COMFORTABLE TALKING TO THESE MOMS. IT IS NICE TO KNOW OTHER PEOPLE HAVE THE SAME QUESTIONS AND OR COMMENTS THAT YOU HAVE. HOPE IT CONTINUES.

XO MOM XO