Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Cheating on Gymbo

I started taking Daniel to Gymboree classes when he was just 7 weeks old. Now, approximately 15 months later, I am ready for a change of scenery. Daniel still loves the familiarity of the Welcome song, getting special attention from Miss Eva, and being hugged by Gymbo at the end of class. Maybe that's why I feel slightly guilty for dropping Gymboree in favor of The Little Gym. It's almost like I'm cheating on Gymbo with his archenemy, the kids' gym down the street.

Part of me feels like I should persevere and stick with Gymboree, since Daniel enjoys it so much. But who's to say that he won't love The Little Gym even more? Then there's that little selfish sliver of me that is simply bored with the same routine week after week. The same songs, the same equipment, the same faces. And now that the majority of the moms in the class are pregnant with their second (or third) child -- seriously, some weeks I feel like I'm the only one in there not talking about how I'm going to handle my toddler with a new bundle of joy on the way -- I feel like I have less in common with them. I'm ready for a new crop of mommies, and a new weekly destination for Daniel and I. Is that so wrong?

Today was our second-to-last Gymboree class. I grinned and bared it through the free play when Daniel went down the same slide about thirty times, the parachute games when Daniel only wanted to run off and do his own thing, and even having to listen to a particularly annoying pregnant mom share her feelings about the first time her toddler heard her unborn baby's heartbeat. As I filled out the "change of membership status" form at the end of class, I suddenly didn't feel so guilty anymore.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR HOW DANIEL LIKES "LITTLE GYM". IT IS WONDERFUL THAT YOU HAVE THE OPTION OF TRYING DIFFERENT PLACES TO EXPOSE HIM TO. "GYMBOREE" WAS WONDERFUL FOR YOU AND DANIEL. NOW IT IS TIME FOR A CHANGE.

XO MOM