Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Vocabulary of a 15-Month-Old

As Daniel's vocabulary begins to develop and grow, I've noticed that certain words/sounds are repeated more often than others. Of course, there is the obvious one: "Dada!" He says it constantly, whether Peter is in the room or not. The only time I'll catch him calling my name is when he is whiny or fussy. He moans, "Ma-ma-ma-ma-ma!" Typical. I suppose Daniel considers me to be the head of the complaint department. Daddy is just this cool guy who shows up every evening after dinner and roughs around with him before bedtime.

Daniel learned how to refer to Ollie pretty early on. He often exclaims, "Doggy!" though it sounds more like "Dickie." I swear, when Daniel was around 10 months old, he was looking at Ollie and saying, "Gee!" Peter and I were convinced we had a genius on our hands. This summer at the Shore, we taught Daniel to say, "Sit!" to the dogs. He would repeat after us, over and over, "Dit! Dit! Dit!" The dogs were truly baffled.

Today, as we passed a large 18-wheeler on our way home from Gymboree, Daniel leaned toward the window and said something that sounded like "Deh-deh." He said it again when he saw a Septa bus at the mall. "Deh-deh." I'll have to listen more closely next time for the exact syllables. I know it didn't sound like "truck" but I'm sure that's what he was saying!

No comments: