Monday, September 8, 2008

An Officially New Occupation

When Daniel was born, almost 15 months ago, I was so distracted by complete adoration (and sheer terror) that I hardly had time to think about going back to work. As a teacher, I had the advantage of taking a year off for what my district called "child-rearing leave." While my days were filled with endless diaper changes, Gymbo the clown, and moments of pure joy, the question began to sneak its way into my subconscious. Would I return to teaching the following September? I made a mental list of pros and cons. If I went back to work, I would return to a job that I had worked so hard to obtain and even harder to retain. I would reconnect with colleagues who had become like family to me. In return, I would be forced to put Daniel in daycare and cram "child-rearing" into an already hectic school-year schedule of lesson plans, parent conferences, and standardized-test mania. If I gave up my contract and stayed home, I would forfeit the time I had already invested towards tenure and an attractive pension. I would lose touch with many of the friends whose humor had gotten me through many a venomous phone call from an unhappy parent. But the life of a stay-at-home Mom grew increasingly more appealing. I would be fortunate enough to notice the daily changes Daniel was going through. I would be present for music class, playgroup, and Gymboree. I would be able to look back on his formative years and say that I had witnessed every developmental step from the front row. What started out as a difficult decision ended up being an easy one to make. So here I am. The school year has just begun and I am not in a classroom. I am no longer an employed teacher. I have, however, gained so much more in return for my teaching contract. I get to spend my days with Daniel, the 15-month-old love of my life. As my husband, Peter, says, I'm the luckiest woman in the world.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Daniel is so lucky to have YOU as his mom, and especially to have you home with him! In 10, 20, 30 years, I think you'll look back and know that this was the best decision of your life (and Daniel's life).

Love it, keep writing!!! xoxo