Thursday, September 25, 2008

Grandparent Bliss

Why is it that Daniel can be so cooperative when his grandparents are there to witness it? I think I already know the answer -- they do not radiate any worry or stress in his direction, only pure joy. As his mother, it is inevitable that I will get bent out of shape when he refuses to eat or tries to stick his hands in his poop. His grandparents think that his poop is the most glorious thing in the world. They have already weathered the storm that is parenthood, and now get the privilege of sitting back to watch THEIR children learn the same lessons they did 30 years earlier. Daniel's angry whining may upset me, but it reminds my parents of the years of toddlerhood they endured and (most significantly) survived. I think there's a saying that says something like becoming a grandparent is your reward for enduring being a parent. Great -- something to look forward to!

After yesterday's debacle of food-spitting and general grumpiness, I was yearning for some relief. My relief came in the form of Daniel's grandparents (my parents), who met us for lunch. I don't know if it was simply their presence that distracted Daniel from his usual mealtime antics, but he was a perfect angel -- and a darn hungry one at that! He ate more in this meal alone than he had all day yesterday. Go figure! I suppose toddlers are not meant to make any sense. As long as he was happy and satisfied, I wasn't going to analyze the situation. Now only if they could have breakfast, lunch, and dinner with him every day...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

IT WAS A TRUE PLEASURE HAVING LUNCH WITH DANIEL YESTERDAY. HE KNEW HE HAD OUR ATTENTION AND SEEMED TO WANT TO SHOW US HOW GOOD OF AN EATER HE CAN BE WHEN WE WERE WATCHING. WE LOVE HIM TO PIECES AND CAN'T WAIT TO HAVE HIM TO OURSELVES IN A RESTAURANT. WHAT A TREAT THAT WILL BE!!
LOVE-MOM AND DAD :-)