Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Mommy, the Musical

Since Daniel was born, I've channeled my creativity into composing little songs throughout my day. Mornings with Daniel begin with a ditty about the sun (music and lyrics created on the fly). Bedtime necessitates a couple of lullabies -- two songs that we learned in music class, not my own. In between the musical bookends of our day, however, I find myself singing to Daniel for a variety of purposes. Sometimes I sing for pure entertainment. But mostly I sing to make our daily activities go more smoothly. Mealtimes are always accompanied by certain songs, typically "Wheels on the Bus" or "Noble Duke of York." My singing somehow elicits a Pavlovian response in Daniel and he immediately opens his mouth and allows me to shovel in a spoonful of food. It's like singing for your supper, but in reverse! I often find myself making up songs on the spot as a way to distract Daniel. For example, this afternoon he wanted no part of laying on his back to have his diaper changed. He squirmed and tried to roll over. When I finally got him on his back and removed his dirty diaper, he decided to reach down with his hands and explore. Not wanting to yell at him, I began to sing, "We don't put our hands in our doodies!" I'd like to think my song tought him a valuable lesson today. Other compositions may be about the downside of sampling Ollie's dog food, or why opening your mouth when it's filled with chewed-up food is not polite. The tunes are irrelevant. The lyrics pour out, uncensored. Being a Mommy gives me carte blanche to be silly and irreverent. There's nothing wrong with keeping yourself entertained during life's most menial tasks, is there? And if I laugh at my own jokes now and then, what's the harm? A little toilet humor never hurt anyone.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ISN'T IT FUN NOT KNOWING WHAT WONDERFUL EXPERIENCES YOU WILL HAVE IN ONE DAY? YOU HAVE HEARD FROM OTHERS WHAT BEING A "MOMMY" WOULD BE LIKE. NOW YOU KNOW AND HAVE FOUND OUT IT IS THE BEST! KEEP ON HAVING FUN!
LOVE- MOM :-)