Sunday, September 13, 2009

Reflecting on a New World...and a New Me

Yeah, yeah, I know I'm getting a little carried away with all of this "reflection" nonsense. My baby boy is starting preschool tomorrow. I'm entering a period of uncertainty -- which could end quite badly or turn out to be the best thing that's ever happened to me. My world is in flux, and this recent anniversary of the terrorist attacks on September 11th, 2001, have left me contemplating how much I've lived through since that fateful day 8 years ago. Everyone's world has changed since September 11th, 2001, but my world has been irrevocably turned upside-down...in many wonderful and terrible ways. Below, a chronology:

On December 31st, 2001, I suffered a stroke while on vacation with friends in Las Vegas. I spent a week in the Vegas ICU, flew home to Philadelphia via "air ambulance," and continued to recover at Jefferson Hospital and Magee Rehabilitation. I was diagnosed with antiphospholipid antibody syndrome, a blood clotting disorder. I have taken Coumadin ever since, and I probably will for the rest of my life.

In late November, 2002, I met Peter. After a few dates, I knew he was the man I was going to marry. Not only did we share similar upbringings and interests, but I felt for the first time in my life that I could totally be myself when I was with him. He became my best friend and my companion. We bought a house together in early February of 2004, got engaged on Valentines Day, and married on April 16th, 2005.

Peter and I moved into a single-family home in July 2006, and I became pregnant that October. Because of my medical history, I was considered a "high-risk" patient. Instead of Coumadin, I had to inject myself twice a day with Lovenox (a safer blood thinner). I was under the care of maternal fetal medicine at Jefferson Hospital, and my pregnancy went rather smoothly. Though I went into labor almost a month early, I delivered a healthy baby boy on June 13, 2007. Daniel Adam Somerman, the love of my life, was born into this world. What a lucky world!

I gave up my teaching career to be a stay-at-home mom with Daniel, and I have never looked back. I am so fortunate to have the ability to focus all of my time and energy on him -- something many mothers can only dream of. He is truly my pride and joy, and he has brought me more happiness than I ever thought possible.

This past year has once again been a tough one for me. I lost a pregnancy in May, when I was already quite far along. As heartbreaking as that experience has been, I feel so lucky to have Peter and Daniel to see me through the tough times (which still pop up every now and then). I am hoping to give Daniel a sibling in the near future, but instead of dwelling on what I've lost I'm trying to focus on how remarkable a life I've lived over the past 8 years. Most people don't experience in their lifetimes what I've been through between the ages of 24 and 32. This has undoubtedly made me a stronger person. I have had my share of blessings and heartache. But this is who I am at this moment in time. And while I can't say that I'm happy about some of the things that have happened to me, I don't necessarily wish I could go back in time and change history. I have always believed, and will continue to believe, that everything happens the way it is supposed to. I know, deep down, that I will look back on this time and say, "I'm glad it happened this way."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This blog definitely brought tears to my eyes. Some sad, some happy! You have expressed your feelings in such a touching way. Yes, you have been through so much in your young life. You have to believe that you are a stonger person from everything. Look at yourself, your loving husband and your healthy, beautiful, smart little boy. Now that is a GIFT!! XO MOM XO

Griffith Girls said...

What a beautiful posting, Stef! Thanks for sharing such personal details and for allowing others to learn through your experiences.