Monday, September 14, 2009

First Day of Preschool!


Today was the big day. Daniel started preschool for the first time, and I cut the strings just a little bit more. The morning went well, with Daniel waking up in a sunny mood and eating almost all of his breakfast. When I tried to take "first day" photos of him, he wasn't exactly cooperative, but I managed to snap this gem you see to the left. This backpack is a lot smaller than his camp backpack was, but it's still bigger than him!

I walked him into his classroom, where he was greeted by his teachers (Miss Margie and Miss Sandy). I tried to show him where his "cubby" was located, but he literally dropped his backpack to the floor and immediately commenced playing. He didn't know what to look at first, strolling from one part of the room to another, stopping only to pick up a stuffed sun toy and proclaim, "Sunny!" Yes, my little boy is ready for school.

I hung around for a couple of minutes, trying to sneak more photos, but Daniel was moving too fast. He couldn't stop playing long enough to smile and say, "Cheese!" I knew it was time for me to leave. I said goodbye to Daniel, and he got very upset. He cried, "Mommy! Mommy!" and burst into tears. Miss Margie picked him up and hugged him, carrying him over to an activity on the other side of the room. I swallowed the lump in my throat, turned around, and walked out the door.

When I arrived at noon to pick him up, Daniel was all smiles. He was happy to see me, and the teacher said he had a great first day. I'm sure there will be more tears before he gets acclimated to the new routine, but I think we're off to a good start!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so happy Daniel had a great first day of pre-school. I am sure you kept looking at your watch thinking "what is my little guy doing now"? The tears he had are very normal. They won't last, believe me. I am sure as soon as you left the room he stopped and started playing with something. I remember visiting you at day camp and when it was time for us to leave you started crying. I hated to walk away but I knew you were in good hands and you would be fine. You became a very "Independent" little girl. Can't wait to hear more stories of Daniel's preschool adventures.
Love - MOM XOXOXO