Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Adjustment Period

Daniel has almost completed his second full week of school. It was wonderful to get back into a regular routine...at least for 3 days a week! Our school mornings go something like this: I wake Daniel at 8:00 (he's usually talking and playing in his crib by then) and get him dressed. We go downstairs and he drinks milk from a sippy cup while sitting in his mini-armchair and watching either Sesame Street or Thomas & Friends. What a life! I make his breakfast and generally scurry about like a crazy person. He eats at 8:30 and plays until it's time to leave. We pull out of the driveway at 8:55 and get to school by 9:00. It couldn't be more convenient.

I think Daniel is still adjusting to the drop-off procedures, since they are so different from camp. He clings to me as I walk him into his classroom, and I try to distract him by pointing out his friends or a cool toy. I can't bring myself to leave without saying goodbye, but this is what usually sparks tears. When he realizes that I'm not staying, he whimpers, "Mommy!" and starts to cry. One of his teachers will undoubtedly embrace him as I walk out of the room, my heart aching. I wonder if a mother ever gets to the point where she's not distraught over the sound of her child in distress.

When I arrive at noon to pick him up, his class is lined up in the hallway. He sits with his backpack, blissfully unaware of my presence. This is my favorite moment of the day. I get a rare glimpse into his state of being, independent of me. When he spots me, his face lights up. I wave furiously and smile. Today, he shouted, "Mommy!" and ran towards me with his backpack flopping behind him. I scooped him up in my arms and gave him a big kiss. We said goodbye to Miss Margie, and Daniel blew her a kiss. He's such a sweet, loving child. I know that he'll be tear-free within a couple of weeks.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We all know that Daniel will be the model student. Give him a little more time and the tears will no longer appear. It is such a healthy experience for him and also for you. In your heart and soul you know he is fine but hearing him cry when you leave him leaves an ache in your chest. Children adjust so quickly to their routine. In no time Daniel will probably ignore you when you say bye-bye. He is maturing and growing independent each day. Great blog!!
Love - MOM XOXOXO