Tuesday, January 6, 2009

School Days

Today I began to explore the idea of sending Daniel to preschool in the fall. He'll turn 2 in June, and September seems like the right time to get him started on a path of academic excellence. Just kidding...sort of. I think it's important for him to begin socializing with other children in his peer group, without Mommy there to guide him. As difficult as it is for me to think about leaving him (even if it is just two days a week, for half the day), I know that playtime with Mommy will not fulfill his cognitive and social development forever. I want him to gain the self-confidence that comes with participating in activities without me by his side. I want him to grow more comfortable with other adults. Most importantly, I want him to have an enriching experience that will propel him into the world of Kindergarten and beyond, armed with the skills he'll need to be successful.

My plan is to send him to a local synagogue for preschool. I didn't attend a Jewish preschool, but my brothers did. I remember them in photographs, with their button-down shirts and ginormous backpacks, excited to learn about their heritage and the traditions that make Judaism so special. I think about Daniel being chosen someday as the Shabbat Child, being given the honor of saying the blessings and carrying the Torah in front of his fellow preschoolers. I can't wait until he hands me homemade holiday projects to display around the house. I can't wait for him to truly understand what it means to be Jewish, and I hope his experience is as unique as those who have come before him.

I have an appointment to check out TBI preschool in a couple of weeks. I'll get to observe a 2-year-old class, and even stay for the weekly Shabbat celebration. Come September, Daniel will begin a wonderful journey. I'll probably cry like a baby. But I have 9 months to prepare myself for that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I CAN SEE IT NOW. DANIEL'S BACKPACK WILL BE BIGGER THAN HE IS. IT WILL BE A HARDER ADJUSTMENT FOR YOU THAN FOR DAS WHEN HE STARTS PRE-SCHOOL. I REMEMBER HOW I FELT. I WAS THE ONE WHO WAS CRYING. MY BABIES WERE LEAVING ME. IT IS A HEALTHY EXPERIENCE AND I AM SURE YOU WON'T REGRET IT. WAIT TILL YOU HAVE YOUR FIRST PARENT/TEACHER NIGHT STEF. YOU WILL BE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE THIS TIME AROUND. YOUR BABY IS GROWING UP!!! :-) XOXOXO