Thursday, January 15, 2009

Mommy & Me, Part 2

Today Daniel and I started our new Mommy & Me class at Beth Or. I opted to switch from Temple Sinai primarily because I wanted to experience both classes and compare them. Based solely on the first day of class, it seems like they will be very similar. This class is smaller, which is nice. There are 6 women in the class, with their toddlers. I was happy that I wasn't the only one with just one child. When you're tagged at the "first-time Mom" you tend to feel like a novice. The other women will be talking about dropping off their older children at preschool or kindergarten, and you'll have nothing to contribute. But it can be extremely helpful to befriend these veteran Moms because they always have a wealth of information and good advice to share. In fact, that's how I learned about this current Mommy & Me class!

While the children ate a snack of Goldfish crackers and Nilla wafers, the Moms took turns introducing themselves and sharing their thoughts on toddlerhood and what they hoped to get out of the class. When it was my turn, I said that I loved how Daniel's sense of humor was developing, and how cuddly and affectionate he can be at times. When asked what I liked least about toddlerhood, I answered that I was frustrated by the way Daniel seems to know exactly how and when to push my buttons. The teacher mentioned that his behavior is developmentally appropriate -- at around 18 months, children begin to exert their autonomy and recognize themselves as separate from their parents. Daniel's defiance is his way of exercising his right to act independently of me (or at least demonstrating that he doesn't have to do everything I say).

As for what I hope to get out of the class, it's really an opportunity for socialization -- both Daniel's and my own. It gives Daniel a chance to play with new kids in a new environment. It's important for him to be able to adapt to different teachers' rules and different children's needs. Not only do I get to interact with Daniel in a kid-friendly environment away from home, with no other household distractions to sidetrack my attention, but I can get a feel for this preschool's atmosphere and compare it to others I've already seen or ones that I'm planning to visit. Come September, I'll be leaving Daniel at school, on his own, a couple of days a week. These classes allow Daniel and I to practice for that experience, kind of like wading in the shallow end with arm floaties before jumping off the diving board into the deep end.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

THIS IS A WONDERFUL WAY TO HAVE DANIEL GET USED TO BEING WITH OTHER CHILDREN AND AN ADULT FIGURE OTHER THAN YOU. IT IS NICE THAT YOU CAN TRY DIFFERENT GROUPS OUT WITH DANIEL. YOU MAKE NEW FRIENDS AND SO DOES HE. I CAN JUST IMAGINE HIM EATING HIS CRACKERS AND COOKIES WITH THE OTHER CHILDREN. A SITE TO SEE I AM SURE. LOVED READING THIS ONE. LOVE- MOM XO