Monday, January 12, 2009

My New Full-Time Job

One thing that became startlingly clear to me over the 2-week holiday break, during which most of Daniel's classes were cancelled, was how much time I spend keeping Daniel occupied and happy. Sure, there are meal times and bedtime routines built into his daily schedule, but that still leaves many unscheduled hours for me to fill. Such is the challenge of the stay-at-home mom. How do we spend our days? To the masses (many of whom must not have children), it may seem like we have it easy. We don't have to work, and we get to spend hours on the sofa, eating bon-bons and watching soap operas. Right. I can't remember the last time I watched anything between the hours of 9:00 and 5:00 that didn't feature a character named Diego or Uniqua. My day includes more running than lounging. Aside from the 20 minutes each morning during which Daniel watches Nick, Jr. and I run around the house making beds and preparing breakfast, the TV remains dark. If it weren't for the variety of activities that fill our week, I would probably go insane.

The appeal of being a stay-at-home mom, however, is deceiving. Sure, Music Together and Little Gym are as fun for me as they are for Daniel, but simple attendance isn't enough. As a stay-at-home mom, you must forge relationships with other SAHM's so your brain doesn't turn to mush. Working moms can at least count on a daily dose of adult conversation and child-free time for themselves. My day revolves solely around Daniel. If I didn't make an effort to become friendly with other SAHM's, I'd be devastatingly lonely. Very early on, when Daniel was about 7 weeks old, I ventured back into the real world. I began taking Daniel to Gymboree and joined the MOMS Club of Wissahickon. I met other SAHM's, who then introduced me to their new friends. My new Mommy network was born! I've been extremely lucky to have befriended about a dozen other women who are in situations similar to mine. We all gave up careers to be full-time Mommies, but we depend on each other to maintain our sanity in our child-centric daily lives. These relationships have benefited Daniel, too -- he has plenty of playmates and has learned the art of socialization at a very young age!

While I enjoy the slower pace of my weekends, and Daniel loves the extra time he gets to spend with his Daddy, I am thankful for my weekly routine. By staying busy, I stave off boredom and loneliness. I can truly appreciate how difficult, and satisfying, my job is. My focus is on Daniel from the moment he wakes up to the moment he goes to bed. We play, we read, we run errands, we shop, we attend classes, we participate in playgroups. It's exhausting work, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

IT IS NICE TO HAVE SOME DOWN TIME BUT THE KEY IS TO HAVE A PLAN OR SCHEDULE. THE DAYS GO BY FASTER FOR SURE AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO KEEP LOOKING AT THE CLOCK AND SAY, "WHAT DO WE DO NOW"? YOU ARE DOING IT ALL CORRECTLY STEF. DANIEL IS LEARNING WITH EVERY CAR RIDE, ACTIVITY, BOOK, AND VISITS TO THE GROCERY STORE THAT YOU DO WITH HIM. GREAT BLOG!! XO MOM XO