Monday, December 29, 2008

Food, Glorious Food

Daniel seems to have turned over a new eating leaf. Which is to say, he has been rather adventurous lately with the foods he is willing to try. For example, at the deli this past Friday night, Peter decided to offer Daniel a couple of pieces of half-sour pickle, for what seemed like the millionth time. Prior to this occasion, Daniel had either tossed the pickle aside with not even a shred of consideration, or touched it to his lips and promptly puckered in disgust. For whatever reason, this night was different. Daniel hungrily gobbled up the pickle, grunting in frustration when the pieces in front of him were gone. But he didn't stop there. He sampled sour tomatoes, rye bread, and even black olives (ugh...he definitely didn't get this particular taste from me). When his dinner came, he ate mostly half of his grilled cheese sandwich, some sweet potato fries, and even some boiled chicken from Peter's soup! I had never seen anything like it. I find it hard to believe that this was the first time Daniel was actually hungry. I suspect, rather, that his appetite waxes and wanes as randomly as his moods. Welcome to toddlerhood!

For the most part, Daniel is still content with his fruit and oatmeal breakfast. Sometimes I spice things up with some banana chunks or graham crackers, but the kid is pretty consistent. Lunch is a challenge. Whether it's because he's tired and ready for a nap, or because he's displeased with the food selection I've offered, Daniel frequently tosses half his lunch on the floor. I can understand when Ollie is begging and Daniel wants to share. But most of the time, he just nonchalantly flings the food aside. I find that he's more likely to put the food in his mouth if I look away or busy myself with some other activity (i.e. reading, cleaning up). But I still haven't solved the mystery of what causes him to dispose of his lunch in the first place. I want to believe what everyone tells me: he will eat if he's hungry. But the frustration of seeing another meal go to waste is sometimes too much to bear!

At the grocery store this weekend, I tried my best to select items that would serve to expand Daniel's food repertoire. Some grilled chicken, veggie corn dogs, turkey meatballs...you know, real food! The baby food is officially gone. Pureed carrots no longer do it for him. I continue to struggle with providing a balanced, nutritional meal for him on a regular basis. But when I'm on my hands and knees, picking up pieces of strawberry and chicken, feeling overwhelmed, I repeat my mantra until even I believe it: If he's hungry, he will eat.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

HOW ABOUT SOME MAC AND CHEESE? I BET HE WILL LOVE IT. I WILL BE SURE TO STOCK UP ON PICKLES AND OLIVES WHEN HE VISITS IN FLORIDA. SO FUNNY!!! GOOD BLOG!!!

XO MOM XO