Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Bonding Time

Daniel has always been willing to cuddle with me after finishing a bottle, but lately he likes to play little games that allow him to "explore" through the use of touch. He lays across my lap, his belly full of milk at the end of a long day. Once the bottle is out of the way, he places his hand on my face. Sometimes he just pushes my cheek so I'll turn my head, causing him to laugh hysterically. Other times, he'll run his fingers over my eyes, nose, and mouth, no doubt trying to figure out these strange facial features that everyone seems to have. If I ask him, "Where is Mommy's ear?" he'll gently brush my ear with his fingertips. Ditto for the eye, nose, and mouth. If he's feeling particularly spunky, he'll grab a piece of my hair and yank on it. When he doesn't pull my hair, he pulls my shirt. All of this "playing" with Mommy is Daniel's attempt to interact with his familiar surroundings in a new way. He used to cuddle passively, now he wants to be entertained.

While it's difficult to get him to sit still on my lap for any extended period of time, I cherish these quiet moments we share each night. There is so much rushing around during the day. I'm always busy driving to activities, changing diapers, or making meals. Daniel and I rarely get to simply be together, enjoying one another's company. This nightly ritual of silliness and intimacy is our way of connecting at the end of a busy day. We have our special routine, which Daniel can rely on. I've figured out, through much trial and error, what works best for him as he prepares for bedtime. Though the nighttime routine is constantly evolving, there will always be certain aspects of it that remain constant: I will always cuddle with Daniel (if and when he lets me, of course), I will always wish him sweet dreams, and I will always say, "I love you."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

DANIEL HAD HIS ROUTINE WHEN HE STAYED AT OUR HOUSE WHILE YOU WERE AWAY. IT WAS SO MUCH FUN JUST TO WATCH HIM CLIMB ON THE COUCH WHEN HE WANTED TO BE READ TO. WHEN PUTTING HIM TO BED AT NIGHT HIS LITTLE HEAD WOULD LAY BACK ON THE PILLOW, DRINK SOME BOTTLE, THEN HE WOULD SIT UP, LOOK AT DAD AND I AND PLOP DOWN ON THE PILLOW AGAIN. IT WAS LIKE A GAME FOR HIM. WHATEVER MADE HIM HAPPY WAS FINE WITH US. HE IS ACQUIRING HIS LITTLE HABITS ALONG WITH HIS DAILY ROUTINE. GOD BLESS HIM!!!
XO MOM XO