Thursday, October 9, 2008

My Own Kind of Repentence

In honor of Yom Kippur, I've prepared a list of mommy-related things for which I should atone. Obviously, this is an abridged version of the list -- there are some indiscretions that are just too shameful to share with anyone but my G-d. If my attitude towards these infractions seems at all cavalier, it's solely for the purpose of amusing the reader. I don't mean to make light of anyone's sins, least of all my own. But I digress...

First of all, I'm atoning for missing Yom Kippur services today. When you have a 16-month-old, the last place you can expect him to sit still and be quiet is a synagogue sanctuary on Yom Kippur. We went to music class instead.

I'm atoning for the times I've lost my patience with Daniel, especially in situations that were obviously beyond his control (i.e. pooping for the third time in a row when I'm trying to get us out the door to Gymboree). In those situations that were clearly manipulated by him (spitting out every spoonful of food that goes in his mouth), I probably could have handled my frustration better. Even if, at the time, I wanted to bang my head against a brick wall.

I'm atoning for refusing to play Daniel's music in the car. I love the songs on his Forever Making Music CD's, but there's only so many times you can hear "Hello, I'm Uncle Jerry..." before you seriously lose your cool. In the interest of not driving off the road, I reserve those CD's for bedtime. Daniel recognizes the songs, and they are a great companion to a bottle of warm milk. In my car, my music rules. I think Daniel will grow up knowing more Gwen Stefani and Dave Matthews than Raffi and The Wiggles. And that's the way I like it (but I'll still atone).

I'm atoning for occasionally allowing Daniel to eat crackers, cheese, and baby food for dinner. I try so hard to introduce new, "adult" foods, but some nights it's just too hard to try and force him to eat something he doesn't want. As long as he's happy and satisfied, I can rest easy. I'll continue to push the table foods, so long as I can slip back to my old habits now and again. I promise I'll atone for it next year.

Phew! I don't know about you, but I feel much better. I love my little boy with all my heart and soul. If these mommy sins are the worst of it, then I think I'm doing a pretty darn good job!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

STEF- DON'T THINK FOR A MINUTE THAT GOD WON'T LISTEN TO YOUR PRAYERS IF YOU AREN'T IN SYNAGOGUE. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHERE YOU PRAY, AS LONG AS YOU DO OCCASIONALLY. BELIEVE ME HE HEARS YOU!! YOU ARE SETTING THE TONE FOR DANIEL. HE HAS HIS HABITS ALREADY JUST AS YOU HAVE YOURS. NOT ONLY IS HE LEARNING FROM YOU AND PETER BUT YOU AND PETER ARE LEARNING FROM HIM. TODAY IS ANOTHER ADVENTURE. XO MOM