Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My Musical "Prodigy"

Daniel loves music. He enjoys all genres, from U2 to Baby Mozart. Since he was about 5 months old, I've taken him to a weekly Forever Making Music class where he shares his love of music with other children. When Daniel first started these classes, he couldn't sit up on his own. I would lay him down on a blanket so he could watch me sing and dance. I would press the instruments against his hands so he could feel the vibration. Pretty soon, he was able to manipulate the instruments and other props (scarves, balls, etc.) on his own. Now he's a one-man-band, as he rocks out to the beat.


It doesn't take much to get Daniel grooving. A simple melody can grab his attention and suddenly he's swaying back and forth with the music. Recently, he's begun to do the "toddler bop," which involves bending his knees and bouncing up and down as if his feet were glued to the floor. It's really quite adorable. Sometimes even the sound effects of a particular toy are interpreted as music, and he begins to rock.

One thing I wish I had done as a child is learn to play an instrument. My rock star fantasies wouldn't seem so ridiculous if I only knew how to play guitar. I hope Daniel shows interest in learning an instrument. I'll gladly nurture those aspirations, paying for lessons and attending cacophonous elementary school recitals. Judging by his reaction to the Budilov's piano last week, I'd better start saving up now.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL SITE TO SEE DANIEL IN HIS MUSICAL WORLD. DAD AND I FEEL SOMEWHAT GUILTY NOT ENCOURAGING YOU, ROBERT AND JONATHAN INTO PLAYING AN INSTRUMENT GROWING UP. TO THIS DAY WE THINK BACK OF THE TIME WHEN JONATHAN CAME TO US IN 3RD GRADE ASKING US IF HE COULD PLAY THE VIOLIN. WE DID NOT ENCOURAGE HIM AND IN TIME HE FORGOT ABOUT IT. WE SHOULD HAVE SAID YES RIGHT AWAY. DAD TALKS ABOUT HIS EXPERIENCE IN THE UDHS MARCHING BAND EVERY NOW AND THEN. MAYBE DANIEL WILL HAVE THAT OPPORTUNITY OR AT LEAST PLAY WHAT HE CHOOSES WITH HIS DADDY ON DRUMS, HIS GRANDFATHER ON DRUMS AND HIS POP-POP ON SAX. OH WELL, NEVER SAY NEVER. KEEP ON ENCOURAGING!! XOXO MOM