Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Expanding Food Horizons


Daniel has always been a good eater. From breast to bottle and beyond, he consumed plenty -- so much so that my sub-6 pound preemie blossomed into a sturdy, 22-pound one year old! While his tastes and preferences have shifted, his ability to put away a considerable amount of food in one sitting has remained consistent. Now that he is approaching 16 months old and is moving around like the Energizer Bunny on speed, I can't help but wonder if he requires even more nourishment than he currently gets.

I'm beginning to make some changes in Daniel's food repertoire. The last bottle of formula is dwindling, soon to be replaced by organic whole milk. The canister of baby oatmeal will soon be empty, and I hope to convince Daniel that eggs are not as awful-tasting as he currently believes. I'm doing a better job of not stocking up on copious amounts of pureed baby food, but rather taking the time to prepare a variety of "adult" foods for him to try. We've added veggie burgers, cream cheese and jelly on whole wheat, Pirates Booty, waffles, and pizza crust to the rotation. Part of me is excited for the shift; my little boy is growing up! But the feeling is definitely bittersweet. Baby food was easy -- portable and cheap! I always knew how much he was getting. Now I'm faced with that scary uncertainty. Did he eat enough? Did he get something from each of the food groups? Can a toddler overdose on cheese?

Today I made Daniel Ellio's pizza for lunch, and he ate about a dozen pieces. He seemed to really enjoy it (what's not to enjoy?) and the chewing wasn't even too much of a problem. I was proud of him, and of myself for venturing into unfamiliar food territory. I did spoon-feed him baby applesauce in between bites of pizza, but no one's perfect! Baby steps, as they say...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

AS BABIES START TO GROW UP INTO TODDLERS YOU CAN'T HELP BUT HAVE FEELINGS THAT ARE BITTERSWEET. HAVING A HELPLESS NEWBORN THAT DEPENDED ON YOU FOR EVERYTHING DOESN'T LAST LONG. ALL OF A SUDDEN THEY CAN DO THINGS ON THEIR OWN AND THEY WANT TO DO THINGS ALL BY THEMSELVES. I REMEMBER GOING TO A RESTAURANT WITH YOUR MOM-MOM AND THE WAITRESS ASKING US WHAT WE WANTED TO ORDER. YOU WERE ANGRY THAT THE WAITRESS DIDN'T ASK YOU DIRECTLY WHAT YOU WOULD LIKE. WHEN YOU FINISHED LOOKING AT THE MENU YOU SHOUTED OUT, "I WANT BACON, STUFF, AND SALAD DRESSING". I THOUGHT THE WAITRESS WAS GOING TO FALL OVER FROM LAUGHING. AFTER ALL STEFANIE WAS A BIG GIRL NOW AND WAS A INDEPENDENT THINKER. THE FUN IS JUST BEGINNING WITH DANIEL!!
LOVE- MOM :-)