Monday, October 5, 2009

Hitting His Groove

Daniel did not cry at drop-off this morning! Even though he was one of the first to arrive in his classroom, he was sufficiently distracted by the container of miniature pumpkins and gourds just inside the doorway. His teacher, Miss Sandy, made a big deal out of finding the toy fire engine in the play kitchen (another good distraction). Daniel went over to look. Instead of grabbing the fire engine, though, he picked up a little black purse and turned to walk away. I told him he could bring the purse over to the sink where we washed his hands. He was so eager to pick up the purse that he had no interest in drying his hands! He carried the purse over to one of the tables and began playing with a cash register toy. He seemed pretty engaged, so I took the opportunity to kiss him goodbye. He turned to me, but didn't cry! I hightailed it out of the room before he could change his mind!

When I arrived for pick-up, one of the other Moms told me that she had walked her daughter into the room right after I left and Daniel was fine. He even greeted her daughter with a "Hi, Lexi!" I'm so happy that Daniel is getting used to his new routine and that he is enjoying school. I love looking through all of the papers that he brings home, and hearing his vocabulary grow by leaps and bounds as he interacts more and more with his peers.

No comments: