Friday, July 10, 2009

Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life for Me!

Today I conducted a little experiment. Instead of picking Daniel up from camp at noon and taking him home to feed him lunch, I paid an extra $10 to allow him to participate in a special pirate-themed lunch. He stayed until 1:00, and ate lunch with the other kids in his bunk. I was dying to know how he'd fare without me. Would he eat anything? Would he sit in a chair properly and behave during lunch? (Unlike he's been doing at home recently -- throwing food on the floor and trying to climb out of his high chair!) Would I be able to squeeze in all of my errands with this blessed extra hour to myself? In a word, YES!

According to Daniel's counselor, Miss Cathy, he had a fabulous day. She carried him over to the car in the pick-up line and told me that he ate his chicken nuggets and even shared some of her fruit! My little moocher! Apparently, she had pineapple and cantaloupe and Daniel just couldn't resist. I was so happy to hear that he actually ate lunch, I didn't really ask about the rest of the morning. She did say that he seems to be doing better and better each day, which made my heart swell with pride. Cathy's son, Zach, buckled Daniel into his car seat and I asked him to say goodbye. He blew a kiss to Cathy and waved goodbye to Zach. It was really quite adorable, especially since I only see tears in the mornings during drop-off.

I'm so thrilled to know that Daniel is adjusting well to camp and, more specifically, to being apart from me during the day. As much as I miss our one-on-one time together, I know that he is taking part in a nurturing and developmentally-appropriate activity. He greets me after camp with a huge smile, and I know that this experience is truly enriching his life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How adorable!! This blog made dad and I smile with tears in our eyes. The camp director and counselors are so lucky to spend time with Daniel. Don't you wish you could be a fly on the wall and watch him at camp?

Love - MOM XOXOXO