Monday, July 6, 2009

Daniel's Loveys

My little boy has quite the elaborate nap and bedtime routine. This routine has evolved and changed over the past two years, but what has remained constant is the presence of one or more (or many, many) loveys. Call them dolls, security blankets, or binkies -- these objects are among the most valuable ones in my home. Without them, my darling Daniel might not be such a phenomenal sleeper. These loveys are my go-to arsenal when he is cranky or difficult -- my port in the storm, so to speak. If I were to ever misplace or lose one...well, I'd rather not think about it.

Currently, at 2 years old, Daniel's crib is filled with every kind of lovey imaginable: stuffed animals, blankets, pillows. No longer a choking or suffocation hazard (thank goodness!), I can pile them on top of Daniel and rest assured that he will drift off to dreamland with a smile on his face. His small Elmo doll is a particular treasure. Both Daniel and I bestow countless kisses upon Elmo's head each night before bed. If Daniel is reluctant to go down for a nap, I can still pull the old "Elmo misses you" out of my hat. The day that stops working, I will be in mourning.

Another favorite is his Taggies blanket. In fact, we just added a new blanket and pillow to the crib. Daniel's sleep space is now stuffed with soft, fleece covers and cushions which are adorned with many colorful, silky tags. He loves to stroke them, and I think he's comforted just by the fact that the tags are there with him. God bless the Taggies company!

As Daniel gets older, his preference of loveys will change and, most likely, go away. Dolls and blankets will be replaced by cool sheets and books by flashlight, late at night. Whatever comforts him enough to make him feel secure in drifting off to sleep, I'll forever endorse. I only wish dolls and blankets still worked for me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So adorable!! Some children have Woobies,Tickeys,Blankeys and Loveys!! Whatever makes them comfy,cozy and secure is most important. They are in their own little imaginary worlds when they sing or talk themselves to sleep. How beautiful!! If only life were that simple always!! Loved the ending of your blog.
Love - MOM XOXOXO