Monday, June 29, 2009

On a Roll

Daniel had another great day at camp today. After a rough drop-off this morning, I was nervous. He started to cry as soon as we pulled into the parking lot. I tried to remain upbeat, telling him what fun activities he'd do at camp today. In my mind, I kept thinking that he may very well be crying just to get attention from me. Ever since he turned 2 just a few weeks ago, Daniel has been thinking up more and more creative ways to try my patience or push my buttons. Since this behavior is developmentally appropriate, I'm not too concerned (just a little frustrated). His dramatic performance at camp drop-off is partially his way of testing my perseverance. Will I cave in and take him home? Or will I stand my ground and continue taking him back to camp every week? As hard as it seems sometimes, my heels are firmly planted.

When I picked him up at noon, he was all smiles. The counselor told me that he had an "unbelievable" day, with no crying and lots of playing. What fantastic news! Now I feel confident that the morning hysterics are only temporary, and that Daniel truly is having fun at camp!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kids certainly know how to push their parents buttons to try to get what they want. We are so happy that Daniel is enjoying himself at camp. He will eventually get tired of crying when he is left off. I have seen such a change in him since his 2nd birthday. His vocabulary is growing and when he wants something he doesn't hesitate to express himself for what he wants. I can stare at him continuously. Just watching him eat is fun in its self. Great blog Stef!!
Love- MOM XOXOXO