Friday, June 26, 2009

Oh Joyous Day!

No words could possibly be sweeter to a Mommy's ears than this: "He didn't cry at all. He had a wonderful day!"

Such was the report I got from Miss Cathy at camp pick-up this afternoon. Not only was I overcome with relief and happiness, but I was quite surprised that Daniel had achieved this milestone just three days into his brand-new experience. This morning at drop-off, you'd never have guessed that the same child would have a fantastic day. Daniel was pulled from my car, crying and screaming. I could hear him shrieking, "Mommy!" as I drove away. Awful, right? I felt sick to my stomach, and just prayed that his sadness would pass and he would have an okay day. I called the camp office at 10:00 to check on him, and I got a good report. They told me that his bunk was on the playground and that all of the kids were happy. At least I knew he hadn't cried for an hour!

As with the first two days, pick-up was a more positive experience. Daniel was walked out to my car as he smiled and waved at me. Miss Cathy told me that he was like an entirely different child today -- laughing, being silly, playing peek-a-boo, and even showing his sense of humor. She was happy that she was finally getting to know the "real" Daniel, and I was jealous that I had to start sharing such an amazing gift.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful feeling to know Daniel had a great day at camp. He is starting to feel comfortable with his surroundings and the people around him. The counselors will soon get to see how lovable, smart, caring, and funny Daniel is. They are so lucky to have that time with him. He is the best! Great blog Stef!!
XOXOXO MOM