Thursday, August 5, 2010

Gonna Party Like It's 1999!

BlogHer: I'm here. I'm blogging. I feel so relevant! I'm back in NYC, on my own, for the first time since I lived here over 10 years ago. In 1999, New York was exciting, noisy, and filled with excess. Today, in 2010, things are pretty much the same. I'm a little older, a little worse for the wear, but a hell of a lot wiser. And I'm carrying a giant pill case.

The conference doesn't officially begin until tomorrow, but the throngs of female attendees descended on Manhattan a day early to settle in, schmooze, and to get their grooves back. Personally, I'm here to learn more about the business side of blogging and to be inspired by the stories of some amazing women. And, of course, to blog.

I caught a ride from King of Prussia this morning, thanks to Julie Meyers Pron. Julie and I went to high school together and she was kind enough to offer me a seat on the Collective Bias bus when she found out I was going to BlogHer. The bus pulled up to the Hilton at 12:30.

My room was ready, so I unpacked and headed out onto the streets of New York to find some food. I was in the mood for sushi, and I found a cute little place on 55th Street where I could tuck myself away with a good magazine and some crunchy spicy tuna. It felt very 1999.

My mission following lunch was to wander uptown a couple of blocks to that mecca of unreasonably large stuffed animals, FAO Schwartz. I wanted to find something cute to take home to Daniel ("airport presents," so to speak). I'm not sure if it was the massive candy section, the make-your-own-Muppet desk, or the giant piano on which Tom Hanks once performed Chopsticks, but I was like a little kid. Forget 1999. It was 1982!

I immediately found the "toy vehicles" and began to marvel at the countless trash trucks, bulldozers, and cement mixers lining the shelves. Though I was disappointed that I had to limit my purchases to items that would fit in my suitcase, I managed to snap a photo of this precious gem:

The picture above doesn't do it justice. This trash truck was ENORMOUS! Daniel could have played for days. I had to settle for a much smaller New York Sanitation Truck. Luckily, size doesn't matter. Daniel loves trash trucks, both large and small.

By the time I tore myself away from FAO Schwartz, it was 4:00 and registration was officially open. I walked back to the Hilton and took my place in line to collect my badge holder, lanyard, and giant bag of swag. (That's like the third time I've used the word 'giant' in this post...you gotta love New York!)


After sprucing myself up a bit, I hopped into a cab and headed downtown to meet Caitlin (my sister-in-law) at Tabla. This place was fantastic: The food was Indian-Fusion, and we ate ourselves silly. Rosemary naan, tomato and lentil curry, lamb loin and short rib, soft-shell crabs...you get the idea. Bonus points for the waiter, who had a cute Australian accent and was named Daniel. We had a great time! It was good, solid, sister bonding!

Don't we look pretty?

We tried in vain for a half-hour to hail a cab, but Madison Square Park wasn't too happening tonight. (Forgive me while I take off on a random tangent: The restaurant was located at 25th and Madison, just a couple of blocks from the office where I worked in 1999. Full circle! How cool is that?) I ended up on the F train, headed uptown to 57th Street. There was something about riding the subway at 11:30 at night that took me right back to the old days. Upon exiting the subway, I walked three blocks to the Hilton, cozied into my pajamas, and curled up with my giant pill case.

On the agenda for tomorrow: Lots of speakers, lots of swag, and lots of giant BlogHer goodness!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

We loved reading your daily blogs. Taking the pictures was an added bonus. Adorable!