Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My (Secret) End-of-Summer Blues

Daniel's last day of camp is this Friday. Yes, the dog days of summer are coming to an end. It's hard to believe that 8 weeks have passed, especially since Daniel started his summer as a teary little boy who missed his Mommy. He has blossomed into a fun, confident camper who waves goodbye to me at drop-off and blows kisses to his counselors at the end of the day. I am so thrilled that I decided to send him to camp for the entire summer. He was totally ready for it, and it was an amazing experience for him. My only regret is that it is now coming to an end...a full month before the school year is set to begin. Oy.

You see, I have a dirty little secret. I have enjoyed these 8 weeks of camp almost as much as Daniel has. Yes, I was sad to send my baby off to his very first away-from-home adventure. Yes, I miss the days of one-on-one bonding, when it was just me and Daniel forging our way together. No, I don't feel guilty for cherishing every minute of the three hours a day, three times a week, that Daniel spent at camp and I spent on my own. Morning yoga classes? Check. Trips to the grocery store without an impatient toddler? Check. Running errands ten times quicker than usual? Check. Doctors visits without having to arrange for a babysitter? Check. In a word, it has been heavenly. And now I have a month to be with Daniel 24-hours a day, 7 days a week. Yay for me!

Not only has it been an important developmental step for Daniel to learn how to function without me, it has been just as important for me to rediscover who I am without him. This is the only time in my life when I will only have one child and, as a result, a relatively flexible schedule. I have taken the time to do things for myself, which makes it easier to face the challenges of parenting a 2-year-old. Over the next couple of weeks, I foresee trips to the Please Touch Museum, the Camden Aquarium, and various parks and playgrounds. School starts after Labor Day, at which time I will resume my heavenly three-mornings-a-week break. I'm not sure if Daniel will cry on his last day of camp this Friday. But I probably will.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is so great knowing that Daniel had a wonderful summer at Camp TBI. In another month he will defintiely be ready for pre-school. I am sure his counselors will miss his friendly personality, good nature and willingness to learn. What a doll!! I will be glad to join you in any activity for him in the next couple of weeks.
Love - MOM XOXOXO