Monday, August 3, 2009

Going Commando

We experienced another "first" with Daniel over the weekend. After lunch on Sunday, I changed his diaper and put him down for a nap. He was babbling a little bit, but I figured he would eventually fall asleep. So I left for the grocery store. According to Peter, Daniel did quiet down and fall asleep. But when I returned home an hour later, I could hear Daniel talking and squealing in his room. Needless to say, I was not happy. He was supposed to nap for at least another hour!

I decided to ignore him (since he didn't seem to be in any distress) and wait for him to quiet down. He did, and we saw him lay down on the video monitor. Not thinking anything of this "mid-nap" wake-up, Peter and I went about our business and let Daniel sleep. When I went into his room at 5:00 to wake him, I understood what all the excitement had been about.

Daniel was lying in his crib, bare-bottomed! He had clearly been sleeping, as he was just opening his eyes. His shirt was still on, but his diaper was tossed to the corner of the crib. I cringed, thinking I would find him in a pile of poop, but luckily he was just a little wet. The puddle underneath him, though, indicated that he had removed his diaper prior to falling asleep! I have no idea how or why he managed to do this. The diaper had been secure when I put him down at 2:00. Maybe he was bored and decided to experiment. In any case, I found the situation to be humorous but also a little sad. I felt bad that I had ignored his calls and he had peed on himself. I also felt bad that his little tushy was cold while he slept!

Needless to say, I put his shorts on over his diaper before putting him down for today's nap!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So glad Daniel stayed dressed during his nap yesterday. Hopefully he was at least covered some of the time while sleeping bottomless. Funny things happen and parents never know why. I can picture Daniel just looking at you when you were asking him "What happened to your diaper" and him using his hands saying "I don't know"!!