Friday, January 22, 2010

Hard to Explain

This past week, I found myself in a public bathroom stall with Daniel. This was not the first time, of course, but the conversation had never before unfolded like this: I sat on the commode and Daniel stood by the door, intensely staring between my legs. First I thought he might be looking at my underwear ("Mommy no wear diaper?"). So I asked him what he was looking at, and he responded (without missing a beat), "Penis?"

I'll pause for a moment here and explain that we are very open in my house. Daniel has seen both parents naked, and he regularly accompanies us to the bathroom. He is also very much aware of his own genitalia (see "A Perplexing Bathtime"). Therefore, it wasn't his use of the word that had me a bit flummoxed. It was the impact that my answer would have on his current and future perception of sexuality and gender roles. Just kidding...I thought it was pretty damn funny!

In a sympathetic voice, I responded, "No, Daniel, Mommy doesn't have a penis. Only boys and daddies have penises. Mommies don't have penises." (Though many of us DO have some seriously brass balls.) He didn't seem concerned, although he didn't necessarily stop staring as I wiped and flushed the toilet. I'm sure the issue will come up again as he continues to learn more about the world around him. I expect that he will, at some point in the distant future, learn the word "vagina" (and giggle like an idiot every time he hears it, as all adolescent boys are programmed to do). I'm proud that he knows the correct anatomical term for his "private" area. There are no wee-wees in my house.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my God Stef. I am still laughing from this blog. Unbelievable in every sense of the WORD!! You have one very smart little boy who has always remembered what you tell him. Reading this made me feel so good and I not only smiled but laughed out loud. Keep them coming!!

Love - MOM XOXOXO